Best Garbage Disposals Reviews Consumer Reports: Ratings And Guide
Do you hate dealing with food scraps or leftovers in your kitchen? Well, we all do, but you don’t really have to deal with all those because there is a convenient way to get rid of food waste in the kitchen.
To efficiently deal with food scraps or leftovers, you need a ‘garbage disposal’, which will put the waste food down the drain in the most convenient way. A garbage disposal grinds food in order to prevent it from clogging your drains.
If you think that this product was missing in your kitchen, then now is an excellent opportunity to acquire garbage disposal. Just go through the reviews of 8 best garbage disposals consumer reports and you will definitely be able to zero in on the most suitable product for your kitchen drains.
Top 8 Best Garbage Disposals Reviews
1. Waste King L-1001 Garbage Disposal, 1/2 HP
Waste King is the product to bail you out of the kitchen garbage. This is my ‘BEST BUDGET PICK’ because it is affordable, efficient and completely reliable.
Features Of Waste King L-1001:
- The garbage disposal features a permanent magnet motor, which is faster and quieter when compared with induction motor used in InSinkErator garbage disposals.
- Add the leftover food and it’ll disappear in no time, thanks to galvanized steel grinder, stainless steel impellers and a ½ HP motor that spins at 2600 RPM.
- Hopper and grind chamber housing of the unit is constructed with fiberglass, which makes the unit lightweight, yet durable.
- The use of nylon and polymer material in the construction help the unit against corrosion.
- An ideal unit for a family of up to 3 people.
- The company offers a 2-year limited in-home warranty just in case anything happens to the unit.
2. KitchenAid Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
KitchenAid is another product that I would like you to consider because I think it has all the credentials to make it to your kitchen. Let’s delve into the features of this incredible garbage disposal.
Features of KitchenAid Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
- This high-performance unit consists of a ¾ HP motor that spins at 1,725 RPM. Complementing that powerful motor is a 40 oz., grind chamber, which comprehensively handles a large amount of food waste.
- Being a continuous feed model, you don’t have to worry about the motor being burnt out.
- The garbage disposal comes with a manual reset button, overload protection, and 2-stage grinding.
- The operation of the unit is 40% quieter than standard garbage disposals, thanks to ‘SoundSeal Technology’.
- The company offers a 5-year warranty on the product, which adds to the positives of the product.
3. InSinkErator Garbage Disposal, Evolution Compact, 3/4 HP Continuous Feed
InSinkErator is manufacturing top-notch garbage disposals, so if you are going into a market to buy garbage disposal, chances of coming home with an InSinkErator product. Who knows you may return with this product, the one in the discussion.
Features of the InSinkErator Evolution Compact:
- The unit features a ¾ HP Dura-Drive motor, which spins at 1,725 RPM. Connected to this high-performance induction motor is a 34.6 oz., grind chamber that effectively grinds food items that are added into the unit.
- The inclusion of 2-Stage MultiGrind Technology ensures that the grinding is done properly.
- The unit features stainless steel stopper and along with various grind components, which add to the durability of the unit.
- You can expect this garbage disposal to operate noise-free because of SoundSeal Technology and the addition of a quiet collar sink baffle.
4. InSinkErator Garbage Disposal, Badger 5, 1/2 HP Continuous Feed
If your aim is to find reliable garbage disposal, then have a look at the ‘Badger 5’ model by InSinkErator. This unit is what most people would need in the first place. Let’s check out what features this unit has got.
Features of InSinkErator Badger 5:
- A sturdy construction, a durable motor, and efficient grinding components, these define InSinkErator Badger 5 garbage disposal.
- Powered with a ½ HP Dura-Drive Induction motor, which spins at 1,725 RPM, you can expect this unit to work efficiently for a long period of time.
- The grinding chamber is designed to deal with soft food waste, but if you add eggshells, bones, and other hard waste into the unit, even then it will not disappoint you. If it isn’t grinding hard waste as effectively, then stop adding it or else the machine would be damaged.
- The company offers a 2-year in-home limited warranty on the unit, which isn’t much to be excited about.
5. Insinkerator W BADGER1CORD Badger 1 Garbage Disposal With Power Cord 1/3 HP
Another Badger on the list, but this one has some differences from its siblings. When it comes to reliability, this Badger won’t disappoint you, but there are only a few types of food items that can be inserted into it. Refrain from adding foods that are rich in fiber content such as raw celery because the fibers will snarl up the blades.
Features of Insinkerator W BADGER1CORD Badger 1
- The ability to fit into almost any sink puts it into the list of top contenders.
- The unit features a 1/3 HP Dura-Drive motor, which powers the grind system to dispose of soft food waste.
- Coming to the grind system of the unit, then that is made up of galvanized steel, but weighs on 26 oz.
- The garbage disposal comes with a 1-year warranty.
6. Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal, 1HP
Waste King L-8000 is a powerful unit, to say the least, as it sports 1 HP, permanent magnet motor that will easily grind soft food waste to hard food waste without making much noise. Let’s check out what else this machine has got.
Features of Waste King L-8000
- The 1 HP permanent magnet motor spins at 2800 RPM, thus helping the grind system to dispose of the waste efficiently, including bones.
- The unit is less noisy, thanks to permanent magnet motors. Moreover, these motors achieve their maximum speed in a short time, thus reducing the risk of jamming.
- The grind components are made of stainless steel, so they will remain intact for a long period of time.
- The garbage disposal housing is framed with glass-filled polyester and glass-filled nylon known as fiberglass. This is a strong and lightweight material, which doesn’t corrode as well.
- The company offers lifetime limited in-home warranty on this product, a feature that can turn the table to the favor of this unit.
7. Waste King L-111 Garbage Disposal, 1/3 HP
If you are not interested in spending too much of your hard-earned money on garbage disposal, then take a look at Waste King L-111. Let’s check out the top features of the unit.
Features of Waste King L-111
- Being a continuous-feed model, you don’t have to worry about the 1/3 HP motor getting burnt out.
- The motor incorporated into the unit is a 1,900 RPM motor, which is ideal for small kitchens.
- Other features of the unit include a removable splash guard, front-mounted reset button, sound-reducing insulation, and a corrosion-proof grinding chamber.
- A decent warranty period of 2 years will help you repair or replace anything in the unit in case of any damage.
8. Waste King L-3200 Garbage Disposal, 3/4 HP
Sporting a sturdy build and easy installation, Waste King L-3200 garbage disposal is a unit that will get the job done of disposing of soft food waste in a comprehensive manner.
Features of Waste King L-3200:
- The model comprises a ¾ HP motor along with stainless steel grind system, a combination that will last for a long time.
- The motor is a permanent magnet one, which is quicker and quieter than induction motors, which are mostly used in InSinkErator Garbage Disposals. The motor spins at 2700 RPM, which is sufficient to dispose of even some of the hard food waste.
- Besides a powerful motor and an efficient grind system, the garbage disposal comes with a sound insulation system, removable splashguard, and front-mounted reset button.
- A 10-year on mechanical parts and a lifetime warranty against corrosion makes the case stronger in favor of the unit.
Why Garbage Disposals Are Awesome
Garbage disposals are designed to provide convenience to people like you and me, who spend most of their time in the kitchen preparing food for the family. Food is something that is prepared multiple times a day and so, food scraps or leftovers become quite normal as well. Whenever possible, I use a vacuum sealer to store the leftover food, but at times, the leftovers can’t be eaten again, so they need to be disposed of.
To dispose of those food scraps or leftovers efficiently, garbage disposals are used. If you haven’t had a chance to use a garbage disposal, then you should definitely buy one because once you start using it, you’ll wonder how you ever get along without it.
What makes garbage disposal ‘a must-have tool’ for the kitchen?
- Whisper quiet operation: Did I mention ‘grinding’ anywhere above? I’m sure I did, but despite the grinding process, garbage disposal won’t make a noise. The operation will be fast, quiet and effective, just how you wanted it to be.
- Eco-Friendly: Contrary to the popular belief, garbage disposals are very eco-friendly, let me explain how. Using a garbage disposal will reduce the amount of trash created by you, thus having less trash for garbage collectors to bury in the local landfill. Therefore, you are contributing to the conservation of landfill space by allowing the leftover food to go through the garbage disposal.
- Convenience: With garbage disposal installed in your kitchen, you can easily get rid of the arduous cleaning process after preparing a meal for your family. Most garbage disposals come with a switch that is located near the kitchen sink, so you just have to turn on the cold water kitchen faucet followed by flipping the switch and then, adding the leftovers in the drain.
How To Choose The Best Garbage Disposal
If you love spending time in the kitchen, then you should buy garbage disposal because then, you’ll love your kitchen even more as you won’t have to deal with leftover food then. With a wide assortment of garbage disposals available on the market, it will be some task to get your hands on the right one. Here are some factors that you can consider when searching for ideal garbage disposal for your kitchen.
Grinding Horsepower of Garbage Disposal
Garbage disposals grind the food into tiny bits, which are easy to dispose of. So, pay attention to the grinding horsepower, as you will find grinder with 1 HP, ½ HP, 1/3 HP, and ¾ HP. Where 1 HP grinder is ideal for large families where a lot of food goes into the trash. A powerful grinder will grind large amounts of food items including bones in an efficient manner.
½ HP and 1/3 HP grinder are used in families where there are not more than 4 family members and the leftover food consisting of vegetables and fruits. Make sure to buy garbage disposal whose components are made of stainless steel. At last, comes the ¾ HP grinder model, which is used in most kitchens. It is ideal for a family of 4-5 persons, plus it features sound dampening features that reduce the level of noise it produces during operation.
Since garbage disposals are meant to deal with water and garbage, it becomes important for you to check the materials used in them. In the majority of units, you will find that stainless steel is used predominantly for grinding device and interior of the unit, and PVC is used for plastic elements. It is important to check the quality of metallic materials because these materials are subjected to high tensions, and they will be in continuous contact with moisture, so chances of damages are very high.
The purpose of presenting reviews of 8 best garbage disposals consumer reports is to narrow down your selection and to put you in a convenient position to buy the right garbage disposal. The only decision you need to make is whether you want to a medium-powerful machine for disposing of soft food waste or highly powerful garbage disposal that can easily grind even hard food waste as well. Once you have the clarity about this particular aspect, it becomes easier for you to buy the right garbage disposal for your kitchen.