Best Sump Pump Reviews Consumer Reports: Read Before You Buy!
A sump pump may not feature in the ‘most important household appliances’ list of many people, but that doesn’t mean the product is not important. On the contrary, it is the most important appliance in the house, especially when a person is living in an area with a high water table. If you too had skipped ‘sump pump’ from that list, then it’s time to not just add the appliance to the list, but also start looking for the best sump pump as well.
With the copious amount of sump pumps available on the market, you will definitely have a hard time identifying the most suitable one. However, that’s where experts like me come into the picture. I have already done the legwork for you, so now, the only thing left for you to do is go through best sump pump reviews by consumer reports and pick the sump pump that you think will help keep the floodwater away from your house.
Reviews Of Five Best Sump Pumps
1. Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
This sump pump is the ‘BEST SELLER’ on Amazon, and there are many reasons behind it. First of all, the company that has made the product, i.e., ‘Superior’, it has 150 years of experience in the pump industry, which shows that the company is doing something right for all these years to hold firmly in the business.
Moreover, the sump pump in the discussion is also one of the best products that you’ll find, as it is made of highly durable, leak-proof plastic material, so no need to worry about leakage and corrosion. This is a ¼ HP thermoplastic submersible utility pump, which won’t just be used as a sump pump, but also as a float switch.
The unit pumps up 30 gallons of water per minute and has a capability to lift water up to 25 feet vertically. The sleek design of the pump allows it to fit in openings as small as 6 inches. The water won’t clog during the suction process, thus allowing smooth and continuous pumping. The company offers a 1-year warranty on the product just in case anything happens to it.
2. WAYNE CDU800 1/2 HP Submersible Sump Pump
This is one of the most popular sump pumps you’ll come across, and there are several reasons for it. This is an efficient and durable unit, which has been made of cast iron with an exception of the top cover, where you’ll find the use of thermoplastic. The vertical float switch and steel guard are designed with such great precision that the float won’t be stuck on the walls of the basin. The float arm rises with the rise of water level and getting up to a specific height, which is enough to trigger the switch and turn the pump on.
This is a ½ HP pump, which works best if sump pits are at least 11 inches deep. This sump pump is easy to install and it doesn’t make much noise during operation. The water is removed at a faster speed than the majority of sump pumps that are available on the market. The company provides a 3-year limited warranty on the product, which is a lot better than warranties offered by other companies.
3. Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump
Zoeller is a reputed brand, and M53 Submersible Sump Pump is one of the company’s top of the line products. The motor, switch case and pump housing of the unit is made of cast iron, which adds to the durability of the unit.
The base is made of engineered thermoplastic with a glass-filled, plastic impeller that comes with a metal insert. The pump sports a stainless steel guard and handles that allow you to easily lift and adjust the pump.
Despite the use of cast iron, the unit is resistant to corrosion, thanks to powder-coated epoxy finish. Other features of the unit include 2-pole mechanical switch and variable level, float-operated and long-cycle systems. Overall, a dependable unit that is worth every penny you spend on it.
4. Liberty Pumps 257 1/3-HP Automatic Submersible Sump
This is another excellent quality sump pump, which comes in cast iron casing to make sure that the 1/3 HP motor stays protected. The motor offers a water flow rate of 3000 or 2220 GPH at 10 feet of discharge pipe elevation.
The maximum height of the discharge pipe would be 21 feet. This pump consumes 40% less electricity than other sump pumps, so if there is a power outage in your area and you are using the best whole house generator, even then, you’ll be able to use this sump pump. The sump pump features a vertical float switch, which allows it to turn itself off and on automatically according to the level of water.
Getting this pump means, you can go on vacations without worrying as to what would happen to your basement because the pump won’t let flood water come inside your house, no matter what. In case, the unit malfunctions, then get in touch with the company as it offers a 3-year warranty on the unit.
5. WAYNE CDU980E Submersible Sump Pump
This is the best sump pump, which WAYNE has to offer to you because it is efficient, durable and long lasting. From installation to operation, everything in this sump pump is uncomplicated.
The operation is noise-free and you’ll just hear a humming sound. The company has added an abrasion resistant glass reinforced polycarbonate impeller into the unit that adds to the durability of it. The sump pump features a powerful motor that has a tremendous flow rate of 4600 gallons of water per hour.
The unit won’t clog or accumulate debris, courtesy of its top suction design. An 8 ft. long power cord is given along with the unit, which is water resistant as well, thus saving you money on buying an extension cord.
When it comes to warranty, this unit leaves behind all others convincingly with its 5-year warranty period. There are a couple of drawbacks of the unit, which are; it may rust after a few years and secondly, it is a high volume/low-pressure sump pump.
Different Types of Sump Pump
There are two types of sump pump available on the market, and both types do the same job, but in different ways. Let’s discuss both types one by one.
Submersible Sump Pump
This type sits in the water, with the pump located at the bottom of the unit and a discharge pipe that comes out to the top. The entire unit is waterproof, so no need to worry about water getting anywhere it shouldn’t.
A filter screen has been added into the pump to bar the entrance of debris into the pump and causing any damage. The working of this filter is somewhat similar to the working of best shower filter. The design of the sump pump is more sophisticated with operation also being quieter.
Pedestal Sump Pump
This type of sump pump is bigger and louder than its submersible counterpart. The pump is kept on top of the unit, i.e., out of water, which is the reason for its loud operation. This type of sump pump is perfect for narrow and deep sump pits. When it comes to price, you can get a pedestal sump pump at a cheaper price than submersible one.
How To Install A Sump Pump
With more and more people are opting for submersible sump pumps, the installation process explained here is for the submersible sump pump.
- Identifying the ideal location to install the sump pump, which is at least 8 inches away from the foundation wall and at a place where digging a hole through the rim joist becomes easy.
- Draw an outline for the pump on the basement floor.
- Get rid of concrete where you’ve outlined the pump, but make sure to leave some space around the periphery so as to be able to work.
- Dig a hole that is 12 inches deeper than the sump liner. Excavate the hole followed by filling the bottom with gravel in order to allow the liner to sit flush with the basement floor.
- It’s time to place the liner into the hole. Once that’s done, add gravel around the edges followed by 6-inch of concrete. Wait until the concrete sets and as it does the pump is installed.
- Place the pump into the liner followed by assembling and connecting the PVC drainpipe and then, plugging in the pump.
- Check the float position carefully because only then, the pump is going to toggle on and off at the right time. Leave sufficient room around the float in order to prevent it from being caught up on the liner.
- You need to install a check valve whose task would be to expel the water left in the tub once the pump is switched off.
- Add water into the liner and test the pump. Everything should work fine, and it if is, then the sump pump is properly installed.
How To Choose The Best Sump Pump
There are always a few factors, which help you get close the product of your choice. Things are not at all different when it comes to sump pumps. You need to keep a few factors in mind, which you can find here below:
- Size: Check the size of the sump pump before buying whether it can meet your needs or not. You are basically getting a sump pump to expel large amounts of water from your basement or crawl space, so if the pump isn’t creating the right amount of head pressure, then it is going to take a lot of time and will certainly test your patience. So, get a sump pump that has a high head pressure.
- Safety: This aspect is taken care of by a security alarm, which many sump pumps are accompanied with these days. The alarm is going to warn you at the time of an emergency, which could be a failure of pump, dead battery or loss of power.
- Durable: Just like all other purchases, a sump pump too needs to be durable. The durability here is defined by the ability of the sump pump to work under adverse conditions. I suggest you to go for a sump pump that comes with cast iron housing.
- Operating voltage: You might be thinking ‘why did I write this parameter’, but it was important because you need a sump pump that comes with a cord long enough to reach the power sockets. It is not suggested to plug the sump pump into an extension cord, as it could lead to a power failure.
- Don’t spend extra on horsepower (HP): The more powerful the device is, the better results you will get doesn’t apply to sump pumps because a ¼ HP or 1/3 HP will do the job on most occasions, so why buy a more powerful machine.
Having a sump pump installed in the basement of your house will make a huge difference in your day-to-day tasks. If you reside in an area where floodwater easily accumulates in the basements of homes, then you will definitely enjoy the convenience that a sump pump would offer you by pumping that water out of the basement without any manual effort.
However, that is only possible if you have invested in the best sump pump. To know which the best sump pumps are, you will have to go through sump pump reviews consumer reports in which I’ve discussed five premium quality, most efficient and reliable sump pumps that are available on the market.