The Best Pellet Grill Reviews By Consumer Reports In 2019
Outdoor barbeques are always dripping with fun, and with summer season knocking on the doors already, you should get ready for exciting BBQ adventures by getting your hands on the best pellet grills. What makes pellet grills an obvious choice for BBQ lovers is the fact that these grills are easy and convenient to use.
What makes a pellet smoker better than other types of smokers is its ability to produce scrumptious BBQ delights in a highly effective manner. It is next to impossible to find a pellet grill user who is not satisfied with the quality of BBQ food prepared on their pellet grill.
If you are eager to buy a pellet grill but aren’t able to zero in on the right product, then you should go through the list of best pellet grill reviews consumer reports that I’ve compiled. I’ve reviewed 6 top pellet grills, which are highly efficient, reliable and worth every dime. Let’s delve into the reviews without any further ado.
Best Pellet Grill Reviews By Consumer Reports
1. REC TEC Grills RT-700 Pellet Grill
This is a premium-quality pellet grill, which sports many high-end features and unrivaled performance when it comes to preparing lip-smacking BBQ delights. The cooking chamber of the unit is made of stainless steel, which not only ensures fast and even cooking, but also ensures the longevity of the chamber because stainless steel is immune to rust, peels, and cracks.
Features Of REC TEC RT-700 Pellet Grill:
- The pellet grill can be connected to Wi-Fi, thus making it possible for you to connect the grill with the company’s app, thus controlling the grill remotely.
- You can easily monitor the temperature of the food without opening and closing the lid, courtesy of dual meat probes.
- The inclusion of ‘Smart Grill Technology’ allows you to keep cooking the food at a precise temperature.
- A large hopper size of 40 lbs gives you the ability to cook the food on the grill for up to 40 hours, but make sure to fill the hopper with the best wood pellets.
- With a cooking area of 702 sq. in., you can easily cook food in large quantities.
- The pellet grill fires up and shuts down automatically, which will save you the cost of fire starters, and protect you against any mishap. For the protection of the pellet grill, the company has provided a premium cover.
- The pellet grill comes with a digital display, which shows each and everything about the food that is being cooked in the cooking chamber.
- The pellet grill comes with a wide range of tool hooks where you can hook utensils that you think would be used while barbecuing.
- The company offers a 6-year warranty on the pellet grill.
2. Traeger TFB42LZBC Grills Lil Tex Elite 22 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
Get this pellet grill in order to get the most delicious BBQ food in quick time. Traeger has always pushed the envelope when it comes to making kitchen appliances, and this pellet grill adds a feather to the cap of the company. Let’s check out what else this pellet smoker has got.
Features To Look Forward To In Traeger Lil Rex 22 Wood Pellet Grill
- A large cooking area of 418 sq. ft. allows you to cook multiple dishes on the grill. It may not be among the largest cooking areas, but it will be sufficient for a small gathering of 4-6 people.
- The inclusion of an integrated ‘Digital Elite Temperature Controller’ will ensure easy controlling of the temperature at which the food is being cooked.
- The pellet holder capacity of the smoker is around 18 lbs, which is sufficient to keep the unit running for multiple hours.
- The smoker is capable of maintaining the set temperature at +/- 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The unit is proficient in smoking, grilling and baking the food, plus it cooks the food evenly so that you don’t get overcooked and undercooked sections in the same meal.
- The use of premium quality steel in constructing the grill ensures its longevity.
3. Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill
A perfect blend of advanced features and superior functionality, Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill comes with advanced digital control, which makes operating the pellet grill a breeze.
Superb Features Of Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill:
- The unit is easy to assemble, thanks to the detailed instructions and all the necessary tools it comes with.
- The grill comprises a large cooking area, i.e., 429 sq. in., along with 144 sq. in., rack where you can prepare and warm the food.
- You can check the exact temperature the food is cooked at using the built-in meat probe, this pellet grill is equipped with.
- The pellet grill may not be portable, but the inclusion of two wheels on the side will allow easy maneuverability.
- The temperature of the pellet grill ranges from 160 degrees Fahrenheit to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, which covers a wide range of food items.
- You don’t have to indulge in the arduous cleaning process after cooking the food on the grill, as the grill is equipped with patented ash cleanout. Moreover, there is a trap door, which confines the ash and grease in one area.
4. Z GRILLS ZPG-700D 2019 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
Since pellet grills offer the best quality BBQ food, the price of those grills is supposed to be high, but don’t you worry at all, as I have got an economical option for you. Z Grills Pellet Grill and Smoker does all the functions that you would like to see in a pellet grill, but it is not as expensive as other pellet grills. You will be able to smoke, grill, bake, roast, sear and braise your favorite food, and that is not the end of the features, as there is a lot more to this pellet grill.
Features Of Z Grills ZPG-700D 2019 Wood Pellet Grill:
- The pellet grill is equipped with automatic electronic ignition, thus saving you the cost of buying a fire starter.
- You can easily monitor the current temperature at which the food is being cooked, courtesy of a LED readout.
- The whole unit can be easily moved from one place to another as it comes with sturdy wheels.
- The temperature range of the pellet grill starts from 180 degrees Fahrenheit and goes up to 475 degrees Fahrenheit, which covers a wide range of food items, yet it is not the broadest temperature range that you’d see in pellet grills.
- The meals cooked inside the cooking chamber of this pellet grill are added with wood fire flavor, thanks to the revolutionary wood fire technology the pellet grill is equipped with.
- Sporting a large hopper capacity of 20 lbs, you can easily cook meals for about 20 hours.
- The company offers a 3-year warranty on the product, so you can get in touch with the company just in case any damage occurs to the grill.
5. GMG 2018 Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Grill
This is a highly advanced pellet grill, which can get you the BBQ food of your choice within minutes. The grill is equipped with Wi-Fi capability as well, so you can easily control the unit using the company’s smartphone application. There are a lot more to this pellet grill, so let’s discuss all the incredible features in the section below:
- As you know the pellet grill is Wi-Fi Capable, so you can easily control its functions using a smartphone app. You don’t have to be near the unit in order to control it.
- This pellet grill is easy to move from one place to another, as it just weighs 69 lbs. You can fold the legs in order to use them as a handle.
- The cooking area of the grill is just 219 sq. in., which many users will find less, but for a family of 4 persons, this grill is perfect. A small rack has been given on the side of the unit where you can keep jars and bottles that you think will come into use while cooking food.
- The smoker is equipped with a thermal sensor, which guarantees the right temperature at all times.
- The ‘Auger System’ of the unit is powered by a powerful motor with higher RPM, which ensures smooth and consistent performance.
- The machine keeps itself clean during the cooking operation, courtesy of the stainless steel grease bucket, which catches all the drippings and keeps the unit free of mess.
6. US Stove USSC Grills Irondale USG890 Pellet Grill
This is an emerging brand in the US, and therefore, it shouldn’t be taken lightly. From solid construction to elegant design and splendid features, this pellet grill has got all the credentials to be an integral part of your BBQ adventures.
Here are some of the top features of the BBQ pellet grill:
- The grill comes with a gigantic cooking surface, i.e., 890 sq. in., along with 204 sq. in., warming shelf and 595 sq. in., grilling surface. This gives you the ability to cook multiple meals at a time and I mean a lot.
- When it comes to versatility, this grill is second to none, as it can be used to grill, smoke, bake, braise, and BBQ. Moreover, the temperature ranges from 180 degrees Fahrenheit to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With the inclusion of an integrated searing station, you will see the best flavors building up in the food along with beautiful textures, which look great and taste delicious, to say the least.
- The presence of a digital thermostat with LED temperature readouts will help you monitor the cooking temperature quite easily.
- In order to start the unit, you don’t need a starter, but you just need to push the automatic ignition and it's done.
- The presence of an internal meat temperature in the grill ensures perfectly cooked meals.
The pellet grill is available in three versions, Irondale USG890, which we have just discussed and other two versions, which are, Hooch USG350 and Cumberland USG730.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Pellet Grills?
Are you still not sure whether or not you should be buying a pellet grill? Well, then let me lay down some of the most compelling reasons why you should invest in one of the pellet grills:
Love For BBQ
I thought you liked the BBQ! If you do, then you should invest in a pellet grill because there isn’t a better way of getting the juicy, crispy and intense BBQ food than a pellet grill. I think this reason is good enough to convince you to get a pellet grill, but if you aren’t fully convinced, then hold on, I’ve got some more points stored in my mind.
Ease Of Use
Pellet grills are easy to use because most of them have ‘set and forget’ function. You just need to set the desired temperature and leave the unit on its own until it prepares the juicy, meaty delights for you. Come back when the food is ready.
There aren’t many units that will beat pellet smokers in terms of versatility. While the most common functions for which a pellet grill is used are grilling and smoking, but you can also use the unit for roasting, baking searing and warming, etc.
Enhances Flavor in Foods
Cooking on a pellet grill is good because it improves the flavor of the food. It does that by an indirect cooking mechanism in which, the heat surrounding the food cooks the food slowly due to which more and more flavors ooze from the food.
One of the most important parts in a pellet grill is the wood pellets, which is responsible for providing an intense and smoky texture to the food. The best wood pellets come from cherry, maple, apple, hickory, and pecan, etc.
Explained: Working Of A Pellet Grill
Buying a pellet grill is just the half job done, you will have to learn to operate the pellet grill. The operation of all the pellet grills is somewhat the same, regardless of which brand and model you use. They all will have a digital controller, which can be used to control the temperature, time and other functions of the grill.
In some grills, you’ll find a knob or dial, which you will have to turn to select the desired temperature. An LED screen is also given in almost every pellet grill, so there is minimum human effort required when it comes to preparing food.
Many pellet grills come with an auger, a mechanism that allows the pellet to go inside the furnace and burn. As the pellet starts to burn, the fan will blow and the process will begin. A notable feature of pellet grills is the indirect delivery of heat, which results in slow and low cooking of food, causing food to taste a lot better.
Underneath the pellet grill, there is usually a plate where all the drippings from the cooking surface will accumulate, so you can remove that plate and clean it after the cooking process.
Undoubtedly, pellet smokers have become the latest trend. With so much being offered by these stylish cooking units, it would be a bad move not to consider them. Moreover, if you crave for BBQ food, then a pellet grill is the best way of satisfying your craving.
Therefore, why don’t you go and read the best pellet grill reviews consumer reports and select the pellet grill that suits your requirements? If you want to buy a pellet grill, then buy it now, as there is no better time of bringing a pellet grill home than now.